Thursday, July 15, 2010

Heiß!

The weather has been extremely hot lately. It's been 90's for the last week or so without much breeze or anything. I forgot to tell you that our ICE train from Berlin back to Göttingen had the air conditioning break down in our car.  They were handing us little wet napkins to wipe our sweat with.  Everyone was hot and smelly.  They told us after a good long while to move to other cars because the air conditioning was still functioning in those.  When I was in class yesterday, our teacher was talking about how the majority of ICE trains suffered this problem this weekend, sometimes the whole train, not just one car.  ICE trains are also unable to open windows due to them already being equipped with air conditioning and would have no need to.  Several other regional trains that have air conditioning suffered the same problems as well.

There has been many storms though, constantly changing our weather.  Monday after we got back from the train station a huge thunderstorm broke out and it began hailing slightly with the rain chunks of ice about the size of sea salt.  Last night it started storming around 11 and rained all night long. This morning it has finally been cooler and is again low- to mid-70's.

Classes are beginning to wrap up.  There's school tomorrow, all of next week, and then just Monday and Tuesday the week after that.  Wednesday I'll be on my way to Frankfurt and spending just a little more time in town, possibly with Christian again, and Thursday (exactly two weeks from today, to the hour), I'll be home by now. Everyone has been asking if the time is going fast or slow.  I can't really say it's been either.  It feels just like two months, although my birthday already feels like a very long time ago, and saying goodbye to my friends and family feels extremely long ago.  It will be good to be back home.  Germany is wonderful and beautiful, food is amazing, and the people are (for the most part) very friendly and happy to speak German with you; but I miss seeing the lake.  I haven't seen anything larger than a river since I left Chicago, and I guess that's the first time that's happened in my life.  In Mishicot and Manitowoc, even in Milwaukee, I'm next to the lake and can be there within minutes and at least pass it all the time.  I miss seeing it.

I also miss Wisconsin cheese.  I don't think that can be beat no matter what country you're in.  I'm biased, but still feel like a true Wisconsinite. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment